In conference, she was incorrigible. Seriously. But here is the worst part: she started questioning my "credentials" as a teacher. She asked me, point-blank, if I had "two MFA's or just one." I didn't really know what to say, I blew her off, which annoyed her. I have never revealed that I was a GTA to my students, as it doesn't really matter either way, I'm their teacher and that's it.
However, she, all of a sudden, is very interested in my "credentials" as her teacher, as if having some sort of degree changes how I teach. However, I do think it changes her view of me as her teacher, which is all of a sudden putting me in a weird position. How do I broach the topic of who I am, as we are all in a strange position of not being professors but being much more than students. We are "instructors," which gives our students who inquire no answers to our backgrounds. Not that I feel I have to defend myself to this student, because I don't and I won't, but it leaves all these unresolved questions and feelings in my head. I have a sneaking suspicion that this student seems to see me as more of a competitor than a teacher, wants to impress me more than actually wants to listen to me and then wants to call me out on my "credentials." ERG.
ALSO, KRISTIN! she told me she was taking poetry tour in fall. I told her to take Alex.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Noooooooooo!!!
ReplyDeleteIt'll be fine... at least I know not to tell my class that I'm a lowly GTA!