Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Technical Stuff in Discussions
So, right now doing prose I'm having them read two stories per week. We usually spend some time discussing each story and I usually try to link it up in some way to whichever technical/crafty aspect I'm talking about that week. For example, we read "The Man Who Knew Belle Star" and first I had us plot the story arc and ways tension was raised throughout the story. Then we discussed what the characters "wanted" a bit, and then I gave a brief lecture about dialogue and pointed to some examples in the story where different sorts of dialogue were in use: “no dialogue,” in which characters are in many and various ways saying “no” to each other, dialogue in which characters contradict themselves at every turn, dialogue in which the characters are talking “at” each other instead of “to” each other, dialogue in which characters battle for power, etc. I'm basically wondering if you guys structure "lessons" around your readings and/or think it's a good thing. It's a lot of planning on my end and it's hard to gauge how much the students are getting out of it. Maybe I should trust them more, that we'll have productive conversations about the stories without so much structure?? Maybe the craft-talk intimidates them?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It seems to me you could ask them whether they're finding the craft-talk helpful. Unless they are seeming really resentful during this part of the class, my guess is that they find it interesting, possibly (for them) an entirely new way of thinking about their writing. Especially if they get to practice what you've just talked about.
ReplyDelete