I think my class is cursed. Seriously. Of my initial 12 students:
A: lone survivor of fatal car wreck (3 friends dead.) AND significant other hospitalized for months after freak accident. (left UA)
B. best friend committed suicide.
C. Assaulted in her dorm room
D. Mental breakdown (left UA)
E. DUI
F. Serious health problems
Just about all of these happened this semester.
Attendance has become a serious problem. Reading assignments and homework are difficult - they can't talk abotu each other's work if only 2-3 people bring it in. I want to be compassionate to the students with problems, but maintain some sort of standards for the (few) kids who show up everyday and turn their stuff in on time. Any ideas? Rituals?
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've never seen a situation like this before. I think all you can do is encourage those who have been hit by tragedy to come to class and do their best. Ask them to go ahead and turn in portfolios at the end, even if they've missed a good bit of class; don't offer them Incompletes up front, but if they ask for one, try to be merciful.
ReplyDelete