I don't know how helpful the conferences are for me as an instructor. It's nice to get a chance to chat with my students on a one on one basis and ask them how they are enjoying the class, what authors they are enjoying, things they've learned etc. It's also been nice to pass on a few authors they might like to read outside of class. I wish I could offer them more constructive criticism or feedback on their writing but I'm not all that familiar with each student's writing style. Does anyone have similar feelings toward these conferences?
Thursday, April 9, 2009
Re: Conferences
I am currently holding conferences this week. For a few weeks now they have been thinking about final projects and in their conferences I have asked that they bring in a piece of writing to show me. Most students are interested in doing a few short shorts, some are writing short stories and others are doing a mixed genre final project. All that I required for this final project is that it is independent from their weekly writing assignments.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
At this level, there's a limit to how helpful a conference is going to be in terms of developing their craft. Still, it's important for them to receive that individualized attention, and to have their writing treated seriously. This would be a good time to talk to them about their strengths, and maybe what sorts of things they could work on to move their writing to the next level.
ReplyDelete